Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grilled Elk Tenderloin


     I like to save a few of the primo cuts of my wild game for grilling in the summer time.  It's hard time after time passing over the sirloins, the top rounds and tenderloins as I dig through the freezer all winter.  But now, as I slap a hard earned tenderloin on the grill, I think it was well worth the wait.  It was well worth everything.  It was worth the 4 hour slog through a foot of snow to catch up to the elk, it was worth the almost as long pack out, it was worth going back again the next day to finish the job.  By now there isn't much left of this cow in my freezer and I'd bet the carcass is almost consumed by scavengers and what's left is hidden by wildflowers.  This cow lives on, in every body that transformed her into energy and certainly in my memories.  Thanks Cow Elk, for being part of who I am.

     This cow is now part of me, my wife, my daughter, and part of our friends and family.

I won't soon forget how my shoulders felt after dragging those hams down the hill 1500'.

     A very basic marinade: Tamari soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, black pepper, crushed garlic, and a dash of dried rosemary.  I salt the meat after it's done cooking.

      We've started grilling sweet potatoes: slice them about 1/2" thick, lightly coat with oil, season with black pepper, salt, and smoked paprika.  They don't take long, but you do have to watch them closely as the sugars in the potato make them burn easily.

The tenderloin itself was nothing short of phenomenal, giving me good reason to continue my preparations for the upcoming big game seasons.

On a side note.  I acquired a charcoal grill for this summer.  I've been using gas for so long that I forgot what I was missing.  The difference in flavor is unreal.  I have a little more work and time involved with the charcoal, but I've actually been enjoying that aspect of it.  It gives me a moment to relive that hunt one more time.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...