Sunday, June 3, 2012

Dad's Wilderness Athlete Altitude Advantage Experience

     I set my Dad up with the Wilderness Athlete Altitude Advantage vitamins and the Hydrate and Recover drink mix prior to the 2011 Colorado Rifle season.  Here is what he had to say about the product.




     My son, Janis suggested I try the Wilderness Athlete Altitude Advantage vitamins and Hydrate and Recover to help acclimate to the hunting altitude of Colorado. I do not think of myself as a “Wilderness Athlete”, but getting up the mountain the past several years for elk hunting had become more of a task every year. Since reaching the age of 60 it seems my body is in a conspiracy against me. I must watch what I eat and every body part seems to complain with aches and stiffness. No matter how much I trained for our annual elk hunt it was always tough and never enough for the tour.


     My real test came during the first rifle season. I began the Altitude Advantage vitamins while in Michigan about 30 days prior. Usually on arriving at 8000 ft. the first days are for acclimation. My approach has been to take it easy and drink a lot of water. This time I (we) began to hike the mountains and scout on the day of arrival. Of course it wasn’t easy, but I noticed a difference. I was surprised with how much energy I had. I was stopping less and going farther.

     I continued using the Altitude Advantage and Hydrate and Recover in camp. To my amazement I was able to negotiate the climbing with our group or by myself with much more stamina, improved breathing and less muscle fatigue. Training before the hunt and watching my caloric intake was key, but WA made a difference. I was able to keep up with my younger friend and youngest son who are 40-60 lbs. lighter than I and are more accustomed to the altitude.  " Keeping up " means I did not pass out and went all the way to the top at a reasonable pace. I was climbing 1,500 to 2,000 ft. for two days in a row with no major ill effects. Yes I had to ice my knees at night, but that’s a separate issue.

     I shot my elk on the first morning; this meant I would be glassing for the others in our party, early and late. The task required climbing up to surrounding ridge tops that permitted glassing across the valley to look for elk. Later I would report back to the group if I had spotted elk activity. Every climb was easier than the prior. The knees still hurt but I believe the WA gave me an edge. I continued this exercise to the last day of the hunt.

     Wilderness Athlete didn't make me Superman, but it did help to keep up and get over some personal challenges.

Shoot straight!!

Janis (Yanis) Putelis
Kalamazoo, MI .


My Dad and brother at 10,000 ft in the Colorado high country.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...