Friday, June 1, 2012

Fish Tacos with Baja Sauce

By Darr Colburn



I have to admit I used to not be much of a fish eater.  I loved catching any type of fish but up until a few years ago always let everything go.  Now days I get cravings for fish, especially this recipe.  I bought a fish fryer last season and it made all the difference when frying fish.  I love to cook and try different recipies.  This recipe for fish tacos is a huge hit with my family and friends.    We usually try and load up the freezer during the spring and summer with crappie.  You could use any type of fish but I prefer crappie, bass or striper.  The Baja Sauce is amazing and makes the recipe.  You can adjust the cayanne pepper and jalepenos to your liking.  Here is what you will need.


1 lb of thawed fish fillets
1 cup beer
1 cup Shore Lunch Beer Batter (Best Batter I have found)
1/3 to 1/2 package of taco seasoning
cooking oil

Mix the batter with the beer and taco seasoning.  I don't like the batter to be to thick.  Cut the fish fillets into bite sized nuggets and throw them in the batter and stir until covered.  Heat your cooking oil to 350 degrees and fry the fish until golden brown.  Remove fish pieces from fryer and drain on a paper towel. 


Baja Sauce

1/2 cup plain vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup mayo ( I will sometimes use 1/4 mayo and 1/4 cup  light sour cream)
1 lime juiced
1 jalepeno minced
1 teaspoon minced capers
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Once the fish is cooked place 4-5 pieces on a soft tortilla and garnish with shredded cabbage, avocado, salsa and the baja sauce.  Sqeeze a little lime on top and enjoy!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...