Sunday, March 21, 2010

How it started


Darr and I were talking the other day about how our love for hunting and fishing started. He had some great stories of his Dad making the sacrifices at an early age to expose him to the outdoors. I remember as a little kid being about 8 or so and going on a family trip to the White Mountains of Arizona in a motorhome. We stopped at many of the lakes on the Fort Apache and stayed the night. I would fish from sunup to sundown and rarely catch anything. My family was not a hunting and fishing family but I was hooked on the outdoors from the beginning. I can remember talking to people that walked by trying to get any possible tips on how to catch a trout. I think by the end of the trip I had managed to land a few fish. Salmon eggs, power bait, corn, worms and bobbers were the method of choice. From then on all I could think about was being out on the water. My grandma got me a subscription to Field and Stream and when it would come in the mail I would read from cover to cover in one sitting. Many a night was spent dreaming about getting to hunt and fish like the guys in the magazine stories. Well, now I am living that dream and I wouldn’t trade my passion for the outdoors for anything. I am so grateful the good Lord made all of the things in the outdoors for us to enjoy. Remember to take a kid hunting and fishing this year and share the passion!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...