Friday, March 2, 2012

Gear Review: KUIU Chugach Jacket & Chugach Pant

By Darr Colburn
Darr Colburn wearing KUIU Chugach Jacket and Pants during the archery elk hunt.

Another hunting season is in the books.  Jay, Jains and I had some great hunts in 2011.  I wanted to put the KUIU gear through a full season before I came to any conclusions and formed any opinions.  Here is my gear review on the KUIU Chugach Jacket and Chugach Pant.
The first big test was during the Arizona early elk season.  We got pounded with monsoon rain five of the first seven days of the archery elk hunt.  My Chugach jacket and pant saved the day!  The pant and jacket were light enough to keep in my small day pack every day.  The pants weigh 13.3 ounces and the jacket weighs 17.3 ounces.  The pants have anatomical shaping for increased comfort and fit along with articulated knees.  The feature I really like is the full leg zippers.  The full leg zippers allowed me to quickly put the pants on without taking off my boots.  Many times during and after a storm I put the Chugach Pants on while glassing for elk to keep me from getting wet while sitting on the ground. 
The full leg zippers on the Chugach Pants are great for getting the pants on and off over your boots.

The Chugach Jacket features pit zips, articulated elbows, a soft brush lined collar and the best storm hood I have seen.  The two draw cords snug the hood down to keep the wind, rain and snow out.  I found the Chugach Jacket and pant to be highly breathable and very comfortable to wear.  The material has a little stretch to it which is nice.  One night while driving back to camp after getting pounded with rain I high centered my truck in a big mud puddle and got stuck.  I had my Chugach Jacket and Pants on and was lying in the mud and water trying to dig the truck out for over an hour.  When we got back to camp I was amazed that my clothing underneath the rain gear was still dry and clean.  The pants sell for $249.99 and the jacket is $299.99.  I believe the KUIU Chugach Jacket and Pant are worth every penny.  If you are looking for light weight, breathable and comfortable rain gear I would highly recommend the Chugach Jacket and Pant by KUIU.
The brush lined collar and draw string hood.
Pit Zips
I like how the Chugach Jacket is cut longer in the back.


Dan, Darr Colburn and Janis Putelis with Dan's 370+ archery bull.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...