Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Greatest Man I Ever Knew


Clayton Vincent, My Papa

Clayton Jay Vincent, 87, passed away at home in his family's care on January 12, 2008. Since well before WW II, Clayton Vincent was active as a cattle producer in all facets of the industry in the Southwest and one of the ranching greats from Arizona. Featured in the Saturday Evening Post in 1946, he managed the famed, Buenos Aires ranch near Sasabe, AZ on the Arizona-Mexico border. In 1956, Clayton moved his family to the valley and ran the Tovrea feed lots. Later, Clayton launched out on his own with ranches in Southern Arizona and California. His trademark was a well respected cattleman, with interests in all aspects of the industry. Always a respected mentor and hero to those who knew him. An ardent fan of ASU sports and known to many for his presence at all of the ASU football games from 1956 until his passing. Clayton was the man in the western hat, and a true supporter of sports. In 2006 He was honored by ASU for his tremendous support. Clayton, the middle child of Earl and Vera Vincent, was born in Lindsay, California. As a youngster he knew he wanted to be a cattleman and never varied from his goal. He met and married the love of his life: Dolores Conley from Liberty, AZ in 1941. That love never failed through the birth of four children, the loss of the youngest as an infant, the challenges of the cattle business, and, finally the tragedy of Alzheimer's, which took his beloved wife of 61 years. Clayton is survived by three children: Richard Vincent, John Vincent, and Sherrie Vincent Scott, ten grandchildren and thirteen great-grandchildren. Clayton was loved, and honored by his family and all who knew him. Clayton had a deep and abiding faith in God. He lived a life of service to Christ and his church. If you want to do something in his memory: Go out and have a big steak and tip your hat to all of this country's beef producers--he would like that. We are going to miss his passion for life and doing what is right at all times.

My Papa was the greatest man I ever knew! He was my best friend and he will be missed by many. He is gone but never forgotten!! This website and blog will be in memory of my Papa, Clayton Vincent. Papa, I will see you in heaven someday and I am glad I was able to learn from your great example of how to live life. You taught me so many things from the time I was a little boy that I will never forget. Thanks for always being a man of integrity and a follower of Jesus. I will see you soon!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...