Friday, August 27, 2010

Gear Highlights

By Janis Putelis
A few pieces of gear that stood out on our backpacking trip.
Mountain Hardware Skyledge 2.1 tent
At four pounds, this tent is all that Jennifer and I need. Two doors means we're not stepping on each other getting in and out and the rain fly makes ample vestibule space if needed.

Montbell Eldo Jacket
Clutch-that is my Eldo jacket. In and out of hunting packs, ski packs, hiking packs for two years now and still warm and puffy. It's light so I never notice I'm carrying it, but always a welcome layer when I need it.

Leupold Kenai Spotting Scope
New this year, my first spotting scope. So far, so good. I really enjoy having the two eyepieces, the 30x fixed is wide enough that I can pan with it.

Lowa Tibet GTX boots Solid.

Black Diamond trekking poles
I've always been down on hiking with poles, just seemed like one more thing to carry, one more thing to add weight. Well, after a few friends convincing me to give them a try, I'm a believer. I did not use them much on the way up, but heading down steep, rocky trails with large step downs they were the ticket. We actually only used one a piece, but just that extra point of contact helped out my balance and definitely increased my speed. If I'm carrying a pack over 40lbs, my trekking poles will be with me. They are worth the weight!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...