Sunday, November 8, 2009

Caping my Deer

I am not an expert taxidermist by any means and Clay Goldman of Mogollon Taxidermy would probably second that and even have some stories for you about me, but one tip I have for you guys is to start your caping with the mouth facing upward and work from the front gums back.  If you do that first then when you come from the inside of the mouth the cape simply falls off right at the end of your job.  I used to use a surgeon scalpel for caping but have found I love the grip on the Havalon Piranta knife with the 60 xt scalpel blades.  The Piranta is great for getting around the pedicles and doing the detail work as well as all types of skinning.  I buy the replacement blades from the Outdoorsmans and one blade can easily handle caping one head if not more.  Be careful though because the blades are extremely sharp.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...