Monday, October 19, 2009

Elk Hunting Gear

Early Season Elk Hunting Gear by Darr Colburn
Darr with hunter Tim Allen, and a 401" AZ Archery Elk

 
Elk Gear by Darr ColburnThe early elk season is over here in AZ and the deer hunts will start soon. My early season elk gear changes every year but I have a few items that I go back to year after year. Being a gear head I am always glad to try the latest and greatest. Some items prove themselves while others end up back on the shelf in the hunting closet. I will try and highlight a few of the items I use and rely on year after year.
Clothing
The archery and early rifle elk hunts in the Arizona are usually in August and September. Temperatures can be close to 100 degrees. The last several seasons I have been wearing the Cabela’s Hunt Tech series long sleeve shirts in Realtree Max-1. This year I tried a few of the Henly’s because they have a vented arm pit to aid in moisture/scent management. The Cabela’s Hunt Tech material is soft on the skin, light weight, cool, quick drying and durable. I have several shirts that have been used heavily over the past three seasons and they still look good. I can’t say enough about this line when the temperatures are hot. I also tried the Cabela’s Hunt Tech Pants this year and liked them. I used these pants when I sat water holes in the evenings because they are so light weight and comfortable. In the mornings I usually wear a vest over my Hunt Tech shirt. I have used a Realtree Max-1 vest by Rivers West. The vest is light but gives you a little insulation until the sun comes up. I also tried a Storm Kloth II jacket this year in Realtree Max-1. This jacket was comfortable, warm and durable when the temperatures got down in the 30’s. If the temperatures drop to around freezing I will usually bring out the Sitka Gear. The Sitka line is comfortable, well designed, durable and warm. I use the Celsius Vest and the Ascent Pants. The Sitka line is well designed with pockets in all the right places. I found the material to be very quiet, perfect for bow hunting. I like the fleece lining that adds a little insulation when the temperatures dip down.
Boots
The boots I wore this year are made by Danner. I primarily wore the uninsulated Danner Pronghorns. These are a great all around boot. They are waterproof, comfortable and rugged. I also wore the Danner Jackal boots. These boots have a super soft, quiet sole and are great for stalking. I like the Danner Jackals when the terrain is not rocky. The Jackals are super comfortable and some of the lightest on the market.

Packs
I have three packs that I use on a regular basis on my elk hunts. The first two are made by Badlands and they are the Monster Fanny and the Super Day packs. The Monster Fanny is awesome for the majority of the early season elk hunts. It has plenty of room for all the essentials and then some. The Monster Fanny is compatible with a hydration system and has shoulder straps for added support. This pack is great for covering lots of county or hiking into your favorite water hole. I will take the super day pack if I plan on staying out all day or need to pack the tripod and the 15X power binos. The Badlands Super Day is also hydration compatible and has plenty of pockets. The Outdoorsmans pack is another pack I keep in the truck. I will take the Outdoorsman’s pack if I am going to glass with the Kowa Big Eye binoculars. The Outdoorsman’s pack is also great for packing out you meat. I will cover the other “Elk Gear” I use in the next couple of weeks while this seasons past elk hunts are fresh on my mind.

Darr Colburn pictured here with the Outdoorsmans Pack with a 401" elk rack!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...