Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Elk Hunting Gear Part 2

Early Season Elk Hunting Gear by Jay Scott--I would like to cover the pants that I wear during the archery and early elk season here in Arizona. There are three types of pants that I like to wear while hunting elk during the rut. I like the Cabelas Silent Weave Realtree Series Pants. These pants are 7.5 oz blended polyester/cotton construction which are very durable but also very quiet while stalking in on that big bull. The pants are a classic six pocket design. Now these pants are great for hunting in dry conditions. These are the pants that I wear about 80% of my days chasing bulls in Arizona. I have several pairs of these pants in the Realtree Max 1 camo pattern. I was wearing these pants in all four elk harvest this year. These pants are fairly inexpensive and range from about $30-35 dollars. The second pair of pants is the Ascent pants from Sitka gear. This year was my first year wearing them and I have to say I am impressed. On days that it was wet or rain was forcasted I wore the Ascent pants. They seemed to dry very quickly and seemed to do some moisture wicking when I got sweaty. These ascent pants are a polyester/lycra blend. They come with suspenders which I wasn't sure about not but they really grew on me and I actually like them alot. These pants retail for about $150. The pair I have is in the Mountain mimicry pattern.

Pictured Daniel Franco (L) and myself (R), I am wearing my Cabelas Silent Weave Pants, Cabelas Hunt Tech series shirt and Western Hunter hat.

Pictured is Steve Whinnery(L) and myself (R), Steve likes the Sitka gear also.
The other pair of pants that I wear elk hunting are made by Carhartt. I like the model with double front and double knees. I wear these while do a lot of brush busting up to glassing knobs or driving around in the Rhino checking water holes and checking tracks. I almost always wera these pants while we are packing elk out or caping/skinning. I have these pants in several colors but prefer the sandstone color. I prefer to get them a little long so that burrs do not get in my socks. You can sit on rocks and glass and not worry about wearing out the butt of your pants. These pants are also a must for Coues deer hunters. These pants go for around $50 dollars.
Make sure to check back and I will cover more elk hunting gear in Part 3. Please email me if you have any questions or comments.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...