Saturday, November 1, 2008

Darr's Trail Cam

My hunting partner, Darr Colburn, wanted to post some info on trailcams so here it is, Enjoy!
Darr writes, "A few months ago I came across a few web sites that were talking about homemade trail cameras. I did some research and decided to try building one for myself. My first build took me a couple days to complete. I have been very pleased with my efforts. The project cost me around $150 and I have a camera that is comparable to the more expensive commercial trail cameras available. Building your own camera has several advantages. The size of the camera is typically smaller than a store bought unit. The home brew cameras also usually offer more settings than the commercial trail cameras. The homebrew cameras also can be made to be very secure and take great pictures. If you like to tinker around during the off season try and build your own trail cam but be prepared to get addicted!!!!! The first step is to purchase a camera. I have built all my cams with the Sony P41 or P32. They are easier to hack and can be purchased on e-bay for $40-$100. There are several companies that sell boards to control your camera. The two I really like are available on line at http://www.whitetailsupply.com/ and http://www.snapshotsniper.com/. I would recommend ordering a kit from Whitetail Supply for your first attempt. The kits run $92-$125 and include everything you need to put together a homebrew trail cam (except the camera). There is also a great web site that tells you everything you need to know about building your own trail camera http://www.hagshouse.com/. If you have any questions or need some advice for your first build feel free to contact me @ darrcolburn@aol.com Happy Hunting!









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...