Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Preston Mercer's Arizona Elk

My friend, Preston Mercer, harvested a bull of a lifetime this season with his bow. I have known and admired Preston for years for being a great hunter but more importantly for being a great person and godly man. I was fortunate to meet his lovely wife Kelsey and their three boys this elk season. Preston and I did some scouting prior to the hunt this year and had a great time. Preston was able to harvest the trophy of his dreams! Here is an excerpt from his story, "Fifteen minutes later I heard a wimpy sounding bugle a half mile from the wallow. Thirtyminutes later I heard another wimpy sounding bugle, but quite a bit closer. What the heck, I might as well call in an rag horn bull. Two cow calls andten seconds later THE BULL came running across the meadow right to thewallow!!! I couldn't believe it. One of the biggest bulls I have ever seen and he had the worst bugle ever- but I didn't care he was @ 61 yds and Iwas ready. The arrow passed completely through him- I immediately nocked another arrow hoping to get another in him as he ran by and was able to at3 0 yds. He ran out into the meadow and stopped behind some cedar trees @84 yds. I had another arrow ready and had been practicing daily out to 80. When he stepped out he was 95-100 yds and quartered away- I shot again and the arrow entered his hind quarter angling towards vitals. Must have hit a big artery as he was bleeding well now. He went another 30 yds and bedded.The rest is history. I can't believe a lifetime of preperation was on acrash course with 5 seconds of opportunity and I was able to keep enough composure to make it happen." Nice job Preston!! This bull has been unofficially gross scored at 412 and should net very close to 400!!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...