Sunday, August 14, 2011

Coues Deer Scouting


I woke up at 3am yesterday to lightning and clouds in the sky. I decided to go despite the weather and I was glad I did. After an almost 2 hour quad ride I got to the first point I wanted to glass from. I glassed for about 30 minutes and was only able to turn up one doe. The wind picked up so I decided to move to a different spot. I got to the next point and the wind had stopped. I immediately glassed up a couple of small bucks. Then around 8:30 I glassed up a nice buck all by himself. He has 5 points on his left and 3 on his right. He has nice main beams and looked to be around 14 inches wide. After watching the buck until he bedded I hiked back to the quad for the long ride back to my truck. I was about half way back to my truck when I looked up and saw a truck off the road. I got out my binoculars and could tell that the truck had rolled off the road. I drove up the road to where the truck was and could not believe what I saw. The truck was a newer Ford F350 and had rolled off the road. I quickly checked the truck for people or blood and saw neither. I hiked up the hill where the truck had rolled down and there was stuff everywhere. Fluids were leaking out of the truck and it smelled like it had just happened. I snapped a couple of pics before I headed back down the road. I drove about 1/4 mile before I ran into a guy and his son along with their dog. They were still shaking as they told me what had just happened. The dad had let his son and dog out and then drove down the road a little ways. He got out of the truck and the truck started rolling down the road before it turned and plunged down a steep hill and started to roll. I was relieved that everyone was ok. The guy said that the truck had been popping out of 4WD all morning and he thinks it popped out of gear when he stopped. We all loaded onto my quad and slowly road the 10 miles back to my truck. I wish I had a picture of the three people and a dog on my quad! We made it back to the truck and I drove them home. I finally made it home around 2pm. What wild day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...