Sunday, April 26, 2009

Darr's Mtn Merriams




Darr took his boys up for some gobbling action, Darr story, "I learned on Thursday afternoon that Parker & Paul did not have school on Friday. I decided to pack the boys up Thursday night and head up to the San Carlos for a morning. We arrived at 11pm and slept in the Tahoe. We woke up at 3:30am and got dressed. It was 28 degrees out and perfectly calm. We hit the road to howl and hoot to try and find a gobbler. We finally found one at around 5am and set up. The bird ended up having hens and flew down and went the other way. We moved down the ridge and I called in 6 Jakes. They came and stood 20 yards in front of us. I hit the slate and four of the Jakes gobbled and Paul jumped about a foot!! It was neat to see the excitement in his face seeing his first wild turkey. Walking back towards the car we head a gobble about 100 yards from the car. We set up and I worked the birds for about 15 minutes before they broke and came in gobbling. Three gobblers came into 40 yards and I made the shot. It was one of my proudest moments as a father having my two boys with me and harvesting a bird. I think they both will be hooked for life."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...