Thursday, April 8, 2010

Eagle River Flyfishing

Vail reported 19" Wed. morning! This is great news for our snowpack, our runoff and consequently our summer fishing. I fished the Eagle River on a full day wade, and surprisingly the fish were eating by 9.30am despite the cold temps. The water was a bit off color, but that didn't hinder the trout from gobbling mayflies. The only bugs I saw were midges, but the fish seemed to be keyed in on the BWO mayfly. Go figure! Top flies for the day were all small, size 16 and smaller, including Copper Johns, Princes, Stones, and the famed Barr's emerger. For more winter flyfishing info check out Alpine River Outfitters. Gear tip of the day: For these chilly days on the river, my merino wool long underwear keeps me toasty warm. I use the Midweight from Smartwool or the 260 weight from Icebreaker.

Randall hoists a colorful rainbow that fell for a small Prince nymph.









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...