Monday, June 22, 2009

Handheld GPS

In my opinion, one of the most important, if not the most important piece of equipment that I carry with me at all times while in the field is a mapping GPS unit. I started with the Garmin 38, then 45, then a 12xl, then E MAP, then the 60cs. I have the topo program loaded into my last two units and I use it all of the time. I cannot recommend a piece of gear more than a mapping GPS unit. Some will say that they have no need for the mapping GPS and they do just fine with the standard gps. I would only shake my head at those people and realize that they are missing out big time! BTW, I still carry a compass but use the mapping GPS all the time. You can locate springs, waterholes, glassing points, old trails, new trails, etc. You can be on the fly and not have to crack the topo maps out. You can just search nearest points of interest. That is not possible with a regular non mapping GPS. At 7.5 oz it is a necessity! If someone has some experience with the latest and greatest mapping gps shoot me an email and tell me about your experience.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...